Search not crawling items in SharePoint 2013

I was recently troubleshooting the issue that Search wasn’t crawling the SharePoint Web Applications. The following information was seen on the Search Administration.

– Recent crawl rate = 0.00 items per second

– Searchable items = 0

– Recent query rate = 0.00

– Full crawl took forever

and the following messages appeared in the ULS Viewer

CManagedSqlSession::ExecuteNonQuery m_ManagedSqlSession->ExecuteNonQuery fails with Error 0x80070057 Description ‘The value’s length for key ‘application name’ exceeds it’s limit of ‘128’.’ Message ‘The parameter is incorrect.’  [gathersql.cxx:2241]  search\native\gather\server\gathersql.cxx

CGatherer::LoadTransactionsFromCrawlInternal pSession->ExecuteNonQuery for SET XACT_ABORT ON failed with Error 0x80070057  [gatherobj.cxx:5003]  search\native\gather\server\gatherobj.cxx

CGatherer::LoadTransactionsFromCrawl failed CrawlID 1, Error 0x80070057         [gatherobj.cxx:4958]  search\native\gather\server\gatherobj.cxx

CGathererLoadTransactionsThread::Thread Failed in LoadTransactionsFromCrawl CrawlID 1, DBID = D75BC825-9366-40EE-958D-BEC9D460F5F4, dError 0x80070057  [gathersql.cxx:399]  search\native\gather\server\gathersql.cxx

CManagedSqlSession::ExecuteNonQuery m_ManagedSqlSession->ExecuteNonQuery fails with Error 0x80070057 Description ‘The value’s length for key ‘application name’ exceeds it’s limit of ‘128’.’ Message ‘The parameter is incorrect.’  [gathersql.cxx:2241]  search\native\gather\server\gathersql.cxx

I set the logging to verbose to see if I could find some more useful alerts but could not find anything as good as the message ‘The value’s length for key ‘application name’ exceeds it’s limit of ‘128’

Resolution

The SharePoint 2013 search consists of the following databases:

<ApplicationName>_AnalyticsReportingStoreDB_<GUID>

<ApplicationName>_CrawlStoreDB_<GUID>

<ApplicationName>_DB_<GUID>

<ApplicationName>_LinksStoreDB_<GUID>

My Search Service Application name was ‘****2013 Search Service Application’ which made the database  ‘****2013_Search_Service_Application_AnalyticsReportingStoreDB_e1c8dbcdd80f490b84db7e1d46072890’

I viewed the SQL Instance activity monitor and the process had the following name:

‘****2013_Search_Service_Application_AnalyticsReportingStoreDB_621618f28315443993dddc6db73b93aa.dbo.proc_AR_GetAllTenantSettings;1’ and this string is 129 characters long.

The Search was successfully crawling after I recreated the Search Service Application with the name “****2013 Search”

– Recent crawl rate = *.** items per second

– Searchable items = 1,071

– Recent query rate = 0.00

– Full crawl took 6 minutes

Recommendation

There are three ways to successfully create the Search Service Application without getting the above error.

– Use PowerShell to create the Search Service Application with custom DB names

– Create the Search Service Application name with a short name

– Changing the database names after creation (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219654.aspx)

3 thoughts on “Search not crawling items in SharePoint 2013

    • Hello Jan,

      I tested changing the name on a new SharePoint 2013 farm.
      I named my service application “SharePoint Search Service Application” which triggered the >128 key length error.

      The issue was resolved after changing the names for the Search databases.

      Kind regards,
      Maarten

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *